Friday, October 28, 2011

Almost Like Christmas Eve

It was the night before kayaks, when all through the house
Not much was stirring, just my cat Tom with his toy mouse.
The Farmer Johns were hung drying with care,
In hopes that our Delta's soon would be there.

Robyn was nestled all snug ready for bed,
While visions of calm seas danced in her head.
And papa in his ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long fall nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the couch to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the new-fallen leaves;
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects under the trees.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a big delivery truck, and a robust fellow with big ears.

That little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it mustn't be a trick.
More rapid than white horses his calls they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Kokatat! now, Scotty! now, Yakima and Aqua-Bound!
On, PFD's! On, Paddles! On, Whistles and maps for all around!
To the front of the drive! To the front of the door!
Now go and play in the water! Go play in waves some more!"

And then, in a twinkling, I heard in the shop.
The movement and shuffling of each of our mops.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
In comes the driver, he came with a bound.

He was dressed in rain slickers, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with truck oil and smoke soot.
A bundle of safety gear he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like apples, his nose like a cherry!
His little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And his grey beard looked like it took long to grow.

The stump of a stogie he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
He had a broad face and a big round belly,
That wiggled when he moved, like a bowlful of jelly!

He was chubby and plump, kinda like an old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And unloaded our Delta's, then turned with a jerk.
And laying his finger aside of his head,
And giving a nod, the shipping list he read!

He sprang to his truck seat, to his horn gave a toot,
And away he went as he gave her the boot.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
"Have fun with your Delta's, the decision was right!"


Yeah...... We're excited ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment