Thursday, November 17, 2011

Capturing Our Adventure

Winter is starting to make its presence here on the west coast as our second storm of the season came ashore earlier today dumping lots of rain and winds howling. Even so, Robyn and I are committed to paddle through the winter months as long as we can keep warm, relatively dry and the winds are in our favour. This coming weekend we hope to get onto the water to check out a GoPro Hero camera (thanks Kris) and see what we capture on.... I was going to say film but...... SD Memory LOL.


When I first started researching this great hobby of kayaking I was memorized by the video clips of instruction (thanks Brett), tidal race euphoria, narrows surfing, expedition travels or what ever I could find on the internet. GoPro has certainly made this easy and affordable with a complete line of of accessories developed to work around the same camera platform. How many companies do you know that start with a great product and make it adaptable to so many different needs?


This past weekend I tested the GoPro at an indoor R/C session flying one of my 5.5 oz electric airplanes to see how it would work. I was amazed at the field of view that was captured when I reviewed the video. After doing a little research on the net about conversion software I chose the freeware Square 5 MPEG Streamclip to edit and convert the GoPro HD file to an AVI file and then used MS Movie Maker to add a title. I then finished everything off with conversion back into an MP4 file with Leawo MP4 Converter. Since this is just a test to see how everything worked I didn't add music but if you listen carefully you can hear my little outrunner motor as the plane flies by. 

After posting the video it's not as clear as the original video so I will have to work on the conversion process as well as using a video window that will allow HD presentation. More research, more research :-)


1 comment:

  1. Glad to be of service. I hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine.

    PO

    ReplyDelete